thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff

The Quran

The Quran - Anonymous As is my custom with sacred literature, I am more concerned with the writing and less so with the content, and I hope this warning makes my rating choice clear.

It's all too easy to build and tear down giant straw-religions in our spare time, but it's only by closely examining the religion's texts that we arrive at a more complete and nuanced understanding of their way of life. It should be no surprise, then, that the Quran was completely unlike what I expected. I was immediately driven to compare it to the Bible, and I found the latter more interesting to read from a literary point of view—more poetry, more varied stylistic choices and so on—although that may be the fault of the particular translation I read.

While three stars doesn't seem particularly generous, I found it quite instructive to learn a bit more about the holy book of Islam, and I think it'd probably serve you (the reader of this review) well to pick it up and flip through a few pages in your spare time.