thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Public Law : Cases Materials and Commentary
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff
The Manticore - Robertson Davies, Michael Dirda After the brilliance of Fifth Business, The Manticore was a bit of a struggle. Granted, I wasn't really expecting a Jason Bourne-style murder mystery, but I wasn't totally prepared for a month-long Jungian psychotherapy session in Switzerland either.

Robertson Davies proves once again his masterful ability to take the mundane and spin it into something far more compelling than anyone could imagine. While Fifth Business chronicled Dunstan Ramsay's unique experiences, The Manticore focuses on the son of Dunstan's friend Boy Staunton. For me, the plot took a back seat to the novel's psychological overtones; however, I'm no expert in the field, so I imagine I missed quite a bit of information of consequence. The Manticore really requires repeated readings to fully grasp what the Manticore means to David, but the plot meshes well with Fifth Business, meaning you don't have to be a psych graduate student to enjoy the novel.

I hope to reread The Manticore soon and perhaps even increase its rating to 5 stars. Bravo once again to Robertson Davies.