thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Public Law : Cases Materials and Commentary
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff
Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up - Francis Chan, Preston Sprinkle I couldn't decide whether this book deserved 2.5 or 3 stars; at any rate, Goodreads doesn't have a half-star option, so 3 stars it is.

Erasing Hell seems to be a response to Rob Bell's latest novel Love Wins. Rob Bell is a bit of a controversial figure in Christian circles, and his latest book makes that abundantly clear as he flirts with universalism (the idea that everyone 'gets into heaven', or something like that). It's strange, then, that Francis Chan doesn't specifically label Erasing Hell as a rebuttal to Bell's arguments. In fact, it's hard to tell what Chan's position is without reading the book—before I read the book, I was under the impression that Chan was also a universalist. Turns out I was wrong, but Chan almost lost a reader there.

In terms of content, Erasing Hell is fairly light on theology. It's pretty obvious that Chan isn't a hardcore theologian, and the tone with which he writes is conversational and (dare I say?) a bit dumbed down. This book is clearly written for a specific audience. That's not a bad thing, but I think it's worth mentioning whether the book is worth your time.

I flipped through Erasing Hell in about 45 minutes. It's interesting to note that we may have preconceived notions of 'Hell' that can be unsubstantiated, and I'm glad Chan delved into those details. If you're looking for a more serious theological study, this will serve as a quick primer.