thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Public Law : Cases Materials and Commentary
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff
Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity - David Foster Wallace Everything and More was a strange book. Strange in its ambitions (to provide a brief history of infinity up to and including Georg Cantor), strange in its writing style (David Foster Wallace isn't exactly the Hemingway of the 21st century), strange in its prerequisites (i.e., the book seems to be designed for people who already know the math he explains).

I didn't enjoy Everything and More. Sure, it was an ambitious project, but I really didn't see the point. The book can't make up its mind: is it a history or a mathematical treatise? There're even epsilon-delta definitions in here, which makes things rigorous but likely alienates any math laypeople. I found the book interesting in a math-textbook sort of way: some parts made me stop and say "hm, that's intriguing", but I certainly wouldn't read it again. If you don't have a passion for rigorous mathematics or a deep interest in David Foster Wallace's prose, I'd say you'd best skip Everything and More.