thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Public Law : Cases Materials and Commentary
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff
Hamlet (Cambridge School Shakespeare) - William Shakespeare, Rex Gibson, Richard Andrews Can you believe that I'm 20 years old and I've never even opened Hamlet? Well, that's about to change tonight. I'm sitting down and reading it all. Cover to cover. Shooting the ish with Hammy and Emophelia. This is gonna be a good time.

~~~~

Well, I didn't quite read it in one night, but Hamlet is a good play. I still think Julius Caesar is my favourite Shakespeare tragedy, but Hamlet is certainly up there. It's definitely better than Macbeth (the metafiction is much more mature than anything Macbeth can offer), although its whiny nature reminds me too much of teenage angst.

Hamlet is one of those plays you simply must read, if only to understand references to lines like "Frailty, thy name is woman" or any of the other hundreds of excellent sound bites Shakespeare has hidden within the text. You won't be sorry after you finish Hamlet.