thereviewman

The Review Man

Formerly of Goodreads, now of both words, in the coming times only here?

Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Leaven of Malice
Robertson Davies
The Salterton Trilogy
Robertson Davies
Effi Briest (Penguin Classics)
Theodor Fontane
Public Law : Cases Materials and Commentary
Philip Bryden, Craik, Neil, Craig Forcese, Forcese, Craig
A Property Law Reader
Bruce H. Ziff
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck You know how sometimes you're supposed to like something because everyone does?

General consensus seems to be that Of Mice And Men is a good book, but I can't stand the drop-an-anvil-on-your-head obviousness of the plot. Yes, we know there's a big man who has a mental condition. We know it's a metaphor for innocence and the human existence. That's fine, but the story seems more like a morality tale than something I'd read for its plot. I think Of Mice And Men has the potential to ask probing questions about how we treat each other and whether humanity is ultimately good or evil at heart. However, I think these questions have been addressed more completely in other (and better) works. And while Of Mice And Men tries its best to make you cry at the end, I didn't find myself terribly attached to the characters introduced only 100 pages earlier.

You'll probably have to read it in your lifetime, so treat it like To Kill A Mockingbird: read it, think about it for a day, then pick up something more substantial.